Saturday, July 23, 2011

Eleven : Eleven Boutique Art Show, Market and Interview!

For the month of July Eleven : Eleven Boutique has been hosting a Summer Art Show, and on the past few weekends an Artist's Market featuring MaNoKin-DesignPout Clothing, Abigail Gingerale Jewlery and the debut of Art For A Start. Today I stopped by the boutique to meet Lana, the owner, and check out all of the amazing art and the great sales going on this month! MaNoKin had a really great showing and, as with most of her collections, there were so many pieces I wanted! There was a great showing of art as well, and the artists and designers were on hand to discuss their work and meet any possible buyers, fans or fashion lovers. Last week we also did an interview with Lana, and I've been anxiously awaiting the day we can finally post it! After reading it over you can totally see how passionate she is about art, her work and the environment. She truly comes off as articulate, and insightful. I'm so happy to have our first blog feature on her! Hope you enjoy it!




[I]C: You are so supportive of local artists and designers. What do you love most about the arts culture in Calgary?

Lana: The arts culture in Calgary is just like any other city. It flourishes only when people give it room to grow. Art and creativity are the tools all societies need to move forward in new ways and to lead, in terms of innovation and problem solving. Art is the ability to look at problems, issues, from a different perspective. To truly create a sustainable city artists need to be free to do their job of expressing, bringing to light things that may normally be passed over in day to day life, asking questions and encouraging our society to think in new ways. I think Calgary designers are burning with a desire to do just that. Shake things up a bit.


[I]C: Not only are you an entrepreneur helping local artists get noticed, but you're also one yourself! Where do you draw inspiration from? And what's your favorite medium to work with?

Lana:  I draw inspiration mostly from the range of emotions and desires from within myself. At this point, when I create art, I'm mostly trying to teach myself about who I am. So, really, I'm inspired by the events that happen in my life, and my reactions to them. Also by people, I think people are beautiful. I mostly work in Acrylic and mixed media collages.

[I]C: You're passionate about sustainability, and designers using organic or recycled fabrics. What tips would you give to new designers looking to make their line more environmentally friendly?

Lana: There are so many ways to take environmental concerns seriously. Pesticides are a huge concern...so choose to use only organic cottons, and do the research behind how fabrics are made and grown. It is absolutely up to us to shape the future of what is acceptable and what is not. If you think your choices don't matter...well that's how we ended up in this mess. Also, it would be great to see more Canadian made fabrics being used, which would cut down on the fuel needed for the transportation of fabrics. This is for all you artists out there: how often do you invest in a locally made piece of clothing? How often do you invest in other artists' works of art? Ask yourself honestly, and if the truth is not very often, that is something to at least think about. Change starts with you. We all need to support each other.

[I]C: What tips would you give anyone else looking to reduce their carbon footprint?

Lana: It's really amazingly simple to start to change the way we consume. Concerning the clothing...try to skip the dryer and conserve energy. This also allows your clothes to last longer. By choosing to buy clothing that is made with love, and a little more expensive, you can consume less clothing over the years, throw less away, spend less money long term and feel wonderful about the pieces you buy. It all starts with you and me and all of us choosing to care about the history behind the things we buy. Cheaper is not better for the economy and does not foster sustainability.

[I]C: You opened in 2008 and seemed to have accomplished so much already between the gallery and the boutique. What are your goals for Eleven : Eleven and Resolution in the next 5 years?

Lana: My goal is to become more authentic and true to who I am, and to my vision. What form that is going to take...well...I'm busy creating that at the moment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment