Sunday, September 18, 2011

Boxwood

What is there to do on a random Saturday afternoon? EAT! Chelsey and I went down to 4th for a quick bite at Boxwood and what a treat it was! We shared a few tapas including the Red Lentil Hummus, Spiced Almonds and Pecans, and the Fresh Baked Bread served with their house churned butter. The hummus was a new adventure for Chels, and I think it may take a little getting used to. As an avid hummus-eater myself it was good, but can't beat Odette's homemade "heaven in a Tupperware container". The almonds and pecans were confusing at first, I didn't understand - were they sweet? were they savoury? However, after a few bites and careful deliberation the decision was unanimous, we both liked them! What can I say about the bread and butter.. it was probably the most thoroughly enjoyed part of the meal, quite possibly because we were both STARVING and started off with it, but more likely because it's got that nostalgia behind it, that comfort food, or that last minute addition you throw together with every meal. I think Chelsey would agree, the butter was so creamy and rich, if I didn't know how socially unacceptable it was, I would eat it off a spoon!


Don't worry, we always save room for dessert!! We couldn't decide between two of the choices, so naturally we ordered both! First up was the Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream Sandwich - HOLY MOLY, I looked at it and looked at C.Bass carefully cutting it with her spoon, then looked down at it again and just dove in face first. All I can say is that it definitely didn't last long! And to top off our meal we shared the Fair trade Chocolate Raspberry Caramel Brownie. I think that because I started with the ice cream sandwich, the brownie just had no chance. In hindsight it was very yummy, I really liked the different textures in it with the creamy brownie base, the chunks of raspberries and the little bits of crunchy caramel.


Boxwood, I give you an 8/10 for food, 10/10 for ambiance and service!


Chelsey, with Boxwood in the background




Hummus, Pecans and Almonds!




Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream Sandwich and Chocolate Raspberry Caramel Brownie 

No comments:

Post a Comment