Friday, September 2, 2011

Exclusive Caitlin Power Interview

One thing you may not know about [insert]calgary's very own Ivanka? She interned for Cailtin Power! So, luckily for us, she got a fabulous interview with one of Calgary's most talked about, up an coming designers. Check out her exclusive interview below! 






IT:Which designers do you look up to the most?

CP: I look up to Canadian designer Denis Gagnon. His business went bankrupt a few years back, and has now rebuilt a very strong company. He is an inspiration to never give up, and to know that it is ok to go backwards to get ahead.

IT: Where does your inspiration come from for this collection?

CP: The inspiration from the FW2011 collection is Victorian Goth. It is a very dark, edgy collection and needs a confident women to fill the clothing.

IT: Briefly describe what a day in the life of Caitlin Power would be like preparing for the first show of the season.

CP: Extremely busy and chaotic! If it's a couple days before the show, I won't have had much sleep, and working 14-16 hour days just to make sure everything is finished! At that time I'm usually still sewing garments, and waiting for outfits to come together. I would love to get to a time where the week before a show I can relax and work on small details...one can only dream!

IT: If you could have dinner with someone dead or alive who would it be and why?



CP: Alexander McQueen. It would be life changing just to be blessed with his presence!

IT
: Any words of wisdom for aspiring designers, or artists in general?

CP: What I've learned lately is to just believe in myself and my designs. I've had a lot of feedback from buyers about "toning down" the pieces to make them more wearable. I'm still listening to their feedback, but not letting it have too much influence on the designs. I don't want to loose myself as a designer just to satisfy a buyer. Be confident in you work, make sure you love what you do, and don't listen too much to outside critiques.



Thanks Caitlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment